How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Waleed Hassan Your Own Question
Waleed Hassan
Waleed Hassan, Immigration Solicitor
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 67
Experience:  I have extensive knowledge in Immigration, Nationality and Asylum law and have had conducted in lead cases.
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Waleed Hassan is online now

We are about to apply wife's visa, 2.5 years after her

Customer Question

Hi there,
We are about to apply for my wife's visa, 2.5 years after her initial spouse visa. We have just realised that we have made a mistake regarding my wife's biometric residency permit card. We have not applied for a new card after she got married and she has taken my surname. Is this likely to lead to a refusal of the next visa and or a fine? Thanks J
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Waleed Hassan replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for you question about the BRP issue you have.

The Home Office website, see below, states that you must inform them of any change of circumstances such change of name. You partner has changed her surname.

However, I do not think it is a problem. When you apply for your wife's extension visa, the application form should request details of all names previously held. Also provide a brief explanation as to why you didn't inform the Home Office of the change of surname previously. This should not be an issue at all.

I wish all you the best for the future application.

Please kindly rate my answer.

Expert:  Waleed Hassan replied 1 year ago.


I note that you have not rated my answer.

Is there anything else I can assist you with?


Expert:  Waleed Hassan replied 1 year ago.

Happy New Year.

I note that you have not rated my answer, which is now long overdue.

I would be grateful if you would kindly rate my answer as soon as possible.