How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask frantzgregory Your Own Question
frantzgregory, Lawyer
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 838
Experience:  Over 5 years dealing with EEA Law, Nationality, Immigration and Asylum Law.
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
frantzgregory is online now

I entered in UK on student visa on June 2006 and stayed on

This answer was rated:

Hi, i entered in UK on student visa on June 2006 and stayed on studen visa ( limited leave to remain) up until 2010, on 2010 my visa switched to PSWS visa for 2 years, on Nov 2011 I have obtained work permit visa based on my sponsor company up until Nov 2012, on Nov 2012 I have granted Humanitarian protection for 5 years from HM Home office, which is valid until 2017, all these visas granted with no gap at all , my question is can I apply for ILR now ( as I have stayed in UK more than 10 years ) or I need to wait until end of my visa? Basically does humanitarian protect is an obstacle to proceed or not?


Thank you for your enquiry.

Under the 10 year long stay rule visa must be continuous and lawful. There is no requirement that your visa must be the same form.

Please note that I can only answer further questions when my first answer has been rated.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks it means switching my visa from work permit to humanitarian protection does not effect my right to apply for ILR
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Sorry like I said I am unable to answer further questions particularly as the information you have provided was already in the first question. You have selected a low paying option which means I cannot spend any more time without rating.

frantzgregory and other Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Frantz, i have rated 5 star is there any chance to answer my last question please?

Thank you. Switching your visa should not affect your application under the 10 year rule as the requirements are that your visa should be continuous and lawful