How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask chatham-chamber Your Own Question
chatham-chamber, Solicitor
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 11865
Experience:  LL.B, Pg.Dip, LL.M, M.B.A (Pending), Solicitor-Advocate. UK Practising Certificate issued by SRA., DIFC Courts Registered (Dubai)
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
chatham-chamber is online now

We are British citizens (me and my 9 yo son) currently

This answer was rated:

We are British citizens (me and my 9 yo son) currently residing in Moscow Russia.
We travelled to the UK (London) 1-4 of May 2016 and while there applied for renewal of our passports.
Unfortunately the application process for the child passport had changed and premium services were not available.
I submitted only adult application, on 3 May and received a passport same day.
Application for the child was not submitted as we were told it required countersignature.
We left and I completed the signing (countersignature etc) of the child application on may 21 when I came back and submitted it then
Unfortunately the child could not wait for the whole process and could not come back so I did it my self when returned to the UK without him
Passport office requires proves that the child was in the UK and I don't have it, they ask for tickets and ask to bring the child but he doesn't have travel document as his old passport was taken. What should I do? How to obtain a new child passport?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.

Where is the child now?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Child is in Moscow as application took longer than expected. Passport office asked to bring him to London.

Hi ,

You will need to inform the passport office that the child has returned to Moscow. It is likely that they will cancel your application as the child needs to be present in the country the application is made.

I hope this answers your questions. If so, kindly rate the answer and provide feedback.

If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to ask.

kind regards

chatham-chamber and other Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My question is not answered.
I specified in the question that the child is in Moscow and passport office requested to bring him to London, while I don't have valid documents to do so. (It also clearly implies that passport office is aware and informed that the child is in Moscow) so if was not what I was asking. My question was - how to get the passport? Moreover your answer is wrong - I cannot cancel the application - they could not return the old passport and wighout it I cannot reapply!!!!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
In addition I worry that I did not explain correctly to the passport office that child was in London on the 3rd of may but not on the 21st (when application was actually submitted due to delay with counter signature) and they requested the tickets to prove he in fact was in London. So again I requested detailed answer - how to get passport and what my steps should be?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I cannot take a call if you don't call within next 5 min. I also expect written details answer. Many thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have waited for the call for 15 minutes, without any success. Please refund my account and provide detailed written answer. Many thanks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
As I havent received a call or an answer. I am not satisfied and expect refund asap. Many thanks.
I also didnt rate the services 5 stars either! If i do not receive the refund today I would have to report it to the police many thanks


You will have to request the return of the passport and cancel the current application. A new application for a passport would have to be made in Moscow. The attached form is quite clear and states , failing which, a new application for a passport should be made using the form on the following link:

If you did not correctly explain to the Passport Office that the child was in London, I suggest that you writ a clear and concise letter setting out all of the details.

I hope this helps

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
As I mentioned - Passport office does NOT return the old passport (I mentioned it in my question and in fact I asked PO to do so they said they cannot)- and without it I cannot apply for a new one. So i cannot cancel the application.

Do you have any correspondence from them detailing the passport number or even a copy of the old passport?

If so, this should be used to apply for a new passport in Moscow.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am sorry to say, but I dont think you know the requirements - in order to apply in Moscow or elsewhere: "You must bring your current passport with you when you apply, and a full colour photocopy of the entire passport (every page including blank pages)" so nobody would accept the application. I need first to get a closure on the current one. How?