How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask frantzgregory Your Own Question
frantzgregory, Lawyer
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 840
Experience:  Over 5 years dealing with EEA Law, Nationality, Immigration and Asylum Law.
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
frantzgregory is online now

I have a driving conviction that will only pass 2 years in

This answer was rated:

Hello Thomas,
I have a driving conviction that will only pass 2 years in age 2.5 months after the sixth year of my tier 2 general visa expires. Arrived in the UK October 2011. Since I cannot get it, is it possibly to extend the visa?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The time interval relates to the conviction date, not a spent date.
I've been working hard to find a Professional to assist you with your question, but sometimes finding the right Professional can take a little longer than expected.
I wonder whether you're ok with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.
Thank you!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello Nicola,Many thanks for the update. I confirm that I am able to wait for the response and understand that with continually changing immigration rule this is required.Kind regardsWes

Hello Wes

I cannot understand your question. Please could you rewrite your question in plain English? I dont understand what you mean by "pass 2 years in age or what you mean by 2.5 months after the sixth year of my tier 2"

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My driving conviction 1/2016 with no custodial disposal.
Visa expiration tier 2 general 10/2017 (6th year of stay).
Can I get a further tier 2 visa extension as I cannot get ilr.


Thank you for clarifying your question.

Those granted leave to remain under Tier 2 can only extend their stay to continue their employment up to a maximum of 6 years. Your current Tier 2 visa appears to have been granted after April 2011, which means that you will only be able to apply for settlement after 5 years if you meet the minimum earnings at the time of application amongst other requirements. The current minimum is £35,000 and this is likely to change. If you do not meet the requirements you can only spend a maximum of 6 years in the UK and then not allowed to return to the UK for a minimum of 12 months.

Even if you meet the specific requirements under the settlement route, you can still be refused if any of the general grounds of refusal apply. Under the discretionary grounds for refusal, having a conviction of an offence for which a non-custodial sentence or other out of court disposal is recorded can result in a refusal. Please note that this ground of refusal is discretionary and not mandatory. So you will still have a chance of success depending on your circumstances.

You may wish to give more detail of your driving conviction. In any event I would be grateful to be rated.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Does your summary include the recognition that ilr is automatically refused if you have a conviction that is under 2 years old, or is this not the case? My salary is more than double the threshold and time in the UK over the 5 years has seen me leave only for work in small periods of time (1-2 weeks).

You need to provide more information about your conviction

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Failing to stop and careless driving. Received a fine and 3 month ban, no points but endorsed licence.


Given that you have been convicted of the offence of failing to stop and careless driving and you were ban and fined, any conviction within the 24 months preceding the date of an application will be refused.

frantzgregory, Lawyer
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 840
Experience: Over 5 years dealing with EEA Law, Nationality, Immigration and Asylum Law.
frantzgregory and other Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you