How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Lawyer
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 7672
Experience:  UK Lawyer holding practising certficate for England & Wales.
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now

I like to help my mother in low to get visa as I'm about

This answer was rated:

I like to help my mother in low to get visa for UK
as I'm about to get married with her dother
I like here to be her


How old is she please?

Can she physically look after herself and carry out day to day tasks (eating/cleaning/dressing etc)?


Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She is in Nigeria at the moment
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am from Romania
And non of us have British passport
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She is 67
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
But my girlfriend brother has British passport
He is born here

Okay. Just to clarify, do you mean that your mother in law can carry out day to day tasks and is not dependent on you either for care or financially?


Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Wen she will come here
She will stay with me
And financially is not a problem for me
I will support here
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My mother in low
Has a son in United Kingdom
He is a British citizen
If I'm not able to do anything for her
Is he able to help?


Drafting your answer now. 5 mins please.


Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thank
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Tell me what i need to do


Thank you for your question and patience, I’m Tom and I’ll try to help you.

As you are an EEA citizen, then it would be for her to apply for an EEA family permit to come here and join you if she is eligible.

However, as she is your mother in law she would only be regarded as a family member for the purpose of applying for this is she is “dependent” on you, see “Qualifying as a family member” on the following link for confirmation:

Therefore, you would have to show her that she is financially or socially dependent on you.

If she can look after herself and does not depend on you for money then she would probably not be eligible and the application would be rejected.

If she could not look after herself and is dependent on you then you could attempt to apply. However, it’s a complicated application to make and you would have to instruct a UK basd solicitor to take your detailed instructions, draft the application and advise you of the necessary supporting evidence that you need to submit with the application.

If you consider that she is dependent on you then you should book a consultation with a local immigration solicitor with a view to instructing them to act on your mother’s in law’s behalf for the purpose of applying.

My goal is to provide you with a good service. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up issues specifically relating to your question.

Kind regards,


Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok look
Is Michael now
I'm a British citizen and my mam is in Nigeria
She is very ill and she is over 60
Is there any low or she is entitled to any support or anything I can do to help her
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
To bring here in United Kingdom ?
To seek medical attention ?

If you are a UK citzien then the only way that you could bring here is on an adult dependent relative visa:

See "Coming to be cared for - you’re an adult dependent relative" on the above link in order to find out whether or not you think she is eligible.

She is not entitled to anything at the present stage but if your objective is to bring here her and you consider that:

1.She needs long-term care to do everyday personal and household tasks because of illness

2. The care is not available or affordable in the country she is from

3. You can support/accommodate her without accessing public money

Then you must see a local solicitor immediately with a view to making the application for her..



Please do remember to rate my answers..


Thomas and other Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you