How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask chatham-chamber Your Own Question
chatham-chamber, Solicitor
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 11865
Experience:  LL.B, Pg.Dip, LL.M, M.B.A (Pending), Solicitor-Advocate. UK Practising Certificate issued by SRA., DIFC Courts Registered (Dubai)
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
chatham-chamber is online now

I am a british citizen living in the uk and recently married

This answer was rated:

I am a british citizen living in the uk and recently married a cuban national in cuba, how can he join me in the uk?


You will need to apply for a spouse visa. Are you working and earning an income of at least 18,600?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I said the income rule was not a problem when I wrote the question, it looks like a lot of the other info I wrote has gone missing? Are you able to access it?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Why have I been charged before I have received the answer to my question?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
In fact this looks the first question I wrote but then changed my mind and so I didn't give my card details, I started again and then wrote a lot more info before I asked the question and then I gave my card details - to pay for the answers to my second post, it looks like my first and second post have been mixed up I think?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can you access my second post?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I thought he needed to apply for a spouse viva not me?

I have not seen the other information. Kindly provide further details

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, so my understanding of what is required is:- I have to earn over £18k ( I do and have my recent P60) I need to have somewhere for him to live (I do, I have bought my house but am still paying a mortgage but am not sure what document I will need to prove this?), we need to prove we have a genuine relationship ( we met in Havana in September 2015, I have returned there two more times, in January and May 2016 (I could provide invoices from the travel companies) which is when we got married, the marriage certificate is currently being translated in Cuba and will be ready in three weeks, we have photos of all visits, in January we travelled the length of Cuba to his birthplace so I could meet his family, who held a big party for us and slaughtered and roasted a pig (which is the Cuban tradition) and I have photographs, we send emails to each other every day and I have kept copies of them all......can all of this be submitted by email by me or does he have to submit hard copies in Havana? I also understand he has to pass an English test and I have found some guidelines about what this involves, can you confirm that if you fail the English test a new application is required and the fees have to be paid all over again? Can you confirm there is a £1200 visa fee to pay aswell as a £600 health fee, which is non refundable if your application is denied.....I have been unable to find a copy of the application form to see what questions it asks, can you send me a blank copy please? Is it correct that the application form has to completed within 30 minutes and can only be completed on line? I have also heard I need to have savings of over £60k, which I don't have although I have assets over that amount if house and/or pension counts......can you advise on this aswell please? Oh and that this has to all be done by him in Havana rather than me apply for him to join me in the uk? I appreciate there is more than one question and would be very grateful for all your advice to enable my husband come from Cuba to join me in the uk? Many thx


I think you have confused some of the rules.

I am out with family today and will respond to you fully tomorrow.

Kind regards

chatham-chamber and other Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, look forward to hearing from you, many thx
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have been asked to rate your response but I have not yet received it? Can you please advise me if you are going to send a response today as promised?


Sorry for the delayed response. It has been a busy day at the office.

I would suggest you compile all of the documents tart you have referred to above.

Evid3nce of the subsisting relationship would be the emails, text messages, and any other evidence of communication that you can provide. You need to prove that the relationship is genuine and subsisting.

With reference to the fees, yes you would have to pay 1200 plus the NHS surcharge of 600.

The evidence you have referred to above needs to be submitted by your spouse in Havana. I would suggest that you keep a copy of everything you send.

With reference to the English language test, this also needs to be submitted. This is separate from the application. If he fails the test, he can re sit it. The test needs to be passed before the application is submitted at the embassy.

2 hope this answers your questions. If so, kindly rate the answer and provide feedback.

If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to ask.

kind regards

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Very many thanks for this, so I don't need £60k in savings? Just a few more you have a copy of a blank visa application form? Can you confirm that once he has passed the English test, he can apply for a visa, providing he pay the fees on line and he would then be invited to an appointment at the British Embassy and at this point, when he attends this appointment, is when he would need to present hard copies of all the relevant documents to Embassy Officials? Would we need to print all of the emails or can they be sent electronically or do we just inform them that they exist and can be made available if necessary? Many thx


You only need £60k if you do not have an income of £18,600.00.

Once he has passed the English Language test, he will be eligible to apply for the Spouse Visa.

With reference to the documents, hard copies will have to be submitted when he attends the embassy.

I hope this answers your questions. If so, kindly rate the answer and provide feedback.

If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to ask.

kind regards

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Very many thanks, ***** *****