How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Lawyer
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 7673
Experience:  UK Lawyer holding practising certficate for England & Wales.
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now

With UK voting to leave EU I am now looking to fast track

This answer was rated:

With UK voting to leave EU I am now looking for possibility to fast track acquisition of British Passport. I have been living in London, UK for last 4 years (3 years university, 1 year working) and am currently a citizen of Latvia. After reading documentation available at governments website I came to conclusion that I need to have lived in UK for at least 5 years to acquire citizenship and subsequently passport. I am reaching out in order to check if there is a way to get this sorted faster. Please feel free to ask for any further information.


Thank you for your question and patience, I’m Tom and I’ll try to help you.

There is no way that you can obtain a UK citizen any quicker.

It’s actually going to take a bit longer then you think.

The requirements for naturalisation are on the following page:

You will see that you must be free from immigration time restrictions for 12 months before you apply. As an EEA citizen this means that you must obtain PR and then wait a further 12 months before you can apply for naturalisation.

You must have 5 years residence in the UK exercising your treaty rights in the UK before you can apply for PR. Here is confirmation and how you can apply:

So, once you have reached 5 years working in the UK you should apply for PR. Then you must wait a further 12 months before you can then apply to naturalise as a UK citizen.

The results of the referendum are unlikely to stop you being able to do the above. The treatments of EEA citizens in already in the UK is likely to form part of the negotiations which will happen between the UK and the EEA over the next few years, it will undoubtedly give you enough time to reach 5 years and then apply for PR.

My goal is to provide you with a good service. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up issues specifically relating to your question.

Kind regards,


Thomas and other Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you