How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Lawyer
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 7672
Experience:  UK Lawyer holding practising certficate for England & Wales.
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now

I live I UK from 2004 I thinking about citizenship question

This answer was rated:

Good afternoon I live I UK from 2004 I thinking about citizenship question is do I need apply for permanent residence in UK before applying for UK passport .
Kind Regards.

Hi Andy,

Thanks for your question.
What nationality are you please?


Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm Polish my daughter was born in UK she is British citizen

Thanks. Drafting your answer now. 5 mins please..


Thanks for your question. I will try to help.

Yes, due to a change in the naturalisation process all EEA applicants who wish to apply for naturalisation must have applied for an received Permanent Residence.

Details on the process are contained on the following site:

The application form and guidance notes are also here:

Please note that the home office generally take up to 6 months to process the application once you have made it (sometimes more) and you have to submit original documents (passport, ID card etc), so you should only apply when you are able to put up with being without your passport for this length of time.

My goal is to provide you with a good service. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply back. Please remember to leave positive feedback using the stars at the top of the page.

Kind regards,


Thomas and other Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you