How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Lawyer
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 7673
Experience:  UK Lawyer holding practising certficate for England & Wales.
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now

I have been living in the UK years. I hold a French

This answer was rated:

I have been living in the UK for 36 years. I hold a French passport. I married an English man in July 1983. we divorced in 2002. I own the property I live in. I receive a state pension. I would like to apply for a British citizenship. Can you help?


Thanks for your question.

Have you received confirmation of your Permanent Residence status from the home office

Kind regards



As a solicitor I cannot have a telephone call because that would constitute specific advice. This site is for general questions/answers only.

Please reply to this thread and I will assist.


Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i havent apply for one yet
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
is there an extra charge for advice over the phone?
Hi,As a solicitor I cannot have a telephone call because that would constitute specific advice.
Have you got a stamp in your passport which says that you have indefinite leave to remain in the UK?Tom
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you Thomas I am happy to continue corresponding by emails. I have just checked my french passport, i cannnot see the stamp that you have mentionned. I have to return to the french consulat in the next few days, would they be able to provide this stamp?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thomas i never thought i would have encountered such problems. Taking into account that I was married for 17 years and lived int this country for the majority of my life, i would have thought that the right to a permanent residenceship is just a formality.
It sounds that i have to obtain this document as soon as possible. From the home office?
Hi Thanks for your question. I will try to help. If you have worked in the Uk for the last 5 years then it will be fairly straight forward.
Before you can apply for UK citizenship by applying for naturalisation as a UK citizen, you must first apply for confirmation of "permanent residence". Details on how you can apply are contained on the following page: The form and guidance notes are contained here on the following page: form is relatively straightforward to complete. The keys is providing as much information establishing both your period of residence in the UK over the 5 years and the work that you have carried out over this period of time. So, you should submit by way of such evidence:{C}· Passport and any expired passports that you still have{C}· ID card{C}· Your registration certificate{C}· Your contract of employment{C}· Your tax returns of p60s for each financial year{C}· Your payslips over the period of the 5 years.{C}· Bills which show that you have been living at your address{C}· Bank statements showing your address and financial activity over the 5 years.{C}· A letter from your employer confirming that you are still employed in the UK{C}· Any correspondence from government departments that you have received over this time{C}· Tenancy agreements or land registry official copies (if you own your own home) You should also note that generally it takes about 6 months from the date that you submit your application for the home office to decide the application. You have to submit original documentation with your application so you will be without your passport/ID card until they decide the application and return the documents to you, so you should factor this in to when you decide the make the application.Additionally, it’s possible that the amount of applications will increase as a result of the referendum and so you may wish to consider this as well. Once you have received confirmation of your permanent residence by making the above application you will have to first wait 12 months and then you can apply to naturalise as UK citizen provided that you meet the eligibility criteria on the following page: Once you have obtained your certificate of naturalization you will then have to attend a citizenship ceremony and after this you can apply for a UK passport. My goal is to provide you with a good service. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up issues specifically relating to your question. Kind regards, Tom
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have been working since my daughter was born in 1986. I have been a pensioner for the past 6 years and receive a state pension and a maintenance from my ex husband.


Thanks. You should still be okay, since you would only receive a state pension if you have worked the required number of qualifying years.

Please remember to leave positive feedback


Customer: replied 1 year ago.
sorry for late reply Tom. Went out. Nothing like some shopping therapy to distress.
Thank you so much for your great help. of course i will leave a positive feedback.
juliette kent

Dear *****tte,

Thank you. Good luck.


Hi Juliette

Is there any further information you require?

I just want to ensure that you are satisfied, so please let me know if you have any further queries on the information I have provided. If you have no further questions then please do leave positive feedback using the stars at the top of the page.

Kind regards,


Thomas and other Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
hi Tom yes one last question hopefully. Once i clicked on the link many options came out, i would like to know which is the most relevant in my case. Thank you so much and all the best. I have mentionned you to my daughter who is or rather was also a lawyer ( she has decided to give up everything and opted for a better life in Berlin). She is now reassured knowing that i have seeked for legal advice.

Hi Juliette,

I'm afraid that I cannot give you specific advice on how to complete the form (online or otherwise), this site is for general question/answers only. However, I understand that the guidance notes are very helpful on the matter.


Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thank you so so much hopefully i wont bothered you again Tom

You're welcome, good luck.