How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Lawyer
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 7672
Experience:  UK Lawyer holding practising certficate for England & Wales.
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now

I plan to marry an non EU citizen and I might have to move

This answer was rated:

Hi there,
I plan to marry an non EU citizen and I am British. I might have to move to Geneva for work where we will both live. Will the non EU citizen receive a British passport after we get married? If not will she have the right to work in UK and EU?


Thanks for your patience.

They will not receive a UK passport just because they have married you.

To receive one, they would first have to apply for and obtain a spouse visa to live and work in the UK with you. The webpage on this is here:

Only once she has received the spouse visa would she be able to work in the UK.

She would then have to live in the UK with you for 5 years, extending the visa once and then apply for indefinite leave to remain. Indefinite leave to mean is the right to stay in the UK without applying for any more visas and independently of their marriage to you.

Once she has obtained indefinite leave to remain, she could apply to naturalise as a UK citizen by applying for naturalisation provided she still meets the requirements:

My goal is to provide you with a good service. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up issues specifically relating to your question. If you are satisfied then please leave positive feedback using the stars at the top of the page.

Kind regards,


Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK, that clears this up. Would the spouse Visa allow her the same rights in the EU ie allowed to work? as if she had a British passport. If not, I work a lot of banking contracts could I work abroad and just leave her at my house so she can qualify for the five years?


No. She would be not be regarded as an EU citizen for the purpose of entering other countries.

Whether she would need a visa to enter those countries would depend on the particular country's visa and immigration rules.

If you were to work periodically outside of the UK then it would be okay for her to stay in the UK but you will have ot demonstrate that you remain in a loving relationship together.

Please remember to leave positive feedback.


Thomas and other Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you