How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Lawyer
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 7673
Experience:  UK Lawyer holding practising certficate for England & Wales.
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now

I'm a Romanian citizen, fully employed. I have been in the

This answer was rated:

Hi. I'm a Romanian citizen, fully employed. I have been in the UK for 6 years and I am thinking to apply for a UK Passport. Can you please advise if this is possible and how much would that cost? Thanks
Assistant: Thank you. Can you provide any more details to help us find you the right Expert?
Customer: Romanian citizen, not married, 36 yrs old. Self employed from 2011 to 2014. PAYE employed since 2014, no gaps. Have not had long absence from the UK since 2010 only for short holidays
Assistant: Brilliant. Thank you. I'll now take you to a secure page to place your deposit with JustAnswer. Once the deposit is received, we'll continue helping you with your question.


Have you applied for and obtained confirmation of Permanent Residence?


Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi. No, that's why I'm contacting you here, for more info on what I need to do


Drafting your answer now. 5 mins please.



Thanks for your question. I will try to help.

I am afraid you are not yet eligible to apply for naturalisation as a Uk citizen.

This is because you have not obtained confirmation of Permanent Residence card. The rules were changed about a year ago, so that applicants for naturalisation must hold a PR card if they are EEA nationals.

The application for PR has a fee of £65 per person

So, you must first apply for PR and obtain it before you naturalise. Details on how you can apply are on the following page:

IF the home office confirm that you have had PR from a date prior to the date they actually issue the card then you can apply for naturalisation once year has passed since that date.

If the home office do not acknowledge that you held PR prior to the date that they actually issue the card then you will have to wait until 12 months have passed since the issue of the PR card.

When you apply for naturalisation you must ensure that you meet the criteria on the following page:

The current fee for naturalisation is £1121.

My goal is to provide you with a good service. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply back. Please remember to leave positive feedback using the stars at the top of the page.

Kind regards,


Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok, so after I get the Pr card, I can apply for UK passport after 1 year. Thanks, ***** ***** that i won't be charged for monthly fees or anything else in addition to £26 that I paid today. Thanks

Correct. You can apply for naturalisation 1 year after obtaining PR provided you meet the criteria on the above link in my previous reply.

I am an expert so I don't know whether you signed up for subscription or not, but it's optional so you can cancel subscription by following the guidance on the following link (if you even have signed up for subscription:

Please do remember to leave positive feedback,


Thomas and other Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you