How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Lawyer
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 7672
Experience:  UK Lawyer holding practising certficate for England & Wales.
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now

Can Irish citizens get UK passport? I've lived in UK years.

This answer was rated:

Can Irish citizens get UK passport?
I've lived in UK for 13 years. Do I need permanent resident card first or can I apply directly for UK passport?


Thanks for your patience.

I am afraid you are not yet eligible to apply for a UK passport yet.

This is because you have not obtained a PR card. The rules were changed about a year ago, so that applicants for naturalisation must hold a PR card if they are EEA nationals.

So, you must first apply for PR and obtain it before you naturalise. Details on how you can apply are on the following page:

IF the home office confirm that you have had PR from a date prior to the date they actually issue the card then you can apply for naturalisation once year has passed since that date.

If the home office do not acknowledge that you held PR prior to the date that they actually issue the card then you will have o wait until 12 months have passed since the issue of the PR card.

When you apply for naturalisation you must ensure that you meet the criteria on the following page:

I am sorry that I could not have better news for you, but it's fairly straight forward to get PR card and then naturalise. I would caution that when apply for PR you have to send off all your original documents (including your passport) and they take generally around 6 months to decide the application so you should only apply when you can put up with being without your passport for 6 months.

My goal is to provide you with a good service. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up issues specifically relating to your question. If you are satisfied then please leave positive feedback using the stars at the top of the page.

Kind regards,



Is there any further information you require?

I just want to ensure that you are satisfied, so please let me know if you have any further queries on the information I have provided. If you have no further questions then please do leave positive feedback using the stars at the top of the page.

Kind regards,


Thomas and other Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you