How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Lawyer
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 7672
Experience:  UK Lawyer holding practising certficate for England & Wales.
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now

I have lived in uk 30 years married to a british man but we

This answer was rated:

HEllo I am Italian and I have lived in uk for over 30 years married to a british man but we recently divorced we have 2 doughters born in uk and I would like to apply for a british passport what do I need to do can you give me some advice please thank you


Thanks for your patience.

WhAt is their father's date of birth please?

Was theie father born in the uk please?


Customer: replied 1 year ago.
12 03 1954 date of birth
Yes he was born in the UK


Do you wish to apply for a passport for you and your daughters OR just your daughters and not you?


Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Passport for myself one of my doughters she got her British passport


Drafting your answer now. 5 mins please


Hi Thanks for your question. I will try to help. I am afraid you are not yet eligible for a UK passport. This is because you have not obtained a PR card. The rules were changed about a year ago, so that applicants for naturalisation must hold a PR card if they are EEA nationals. So, you must first apply for PR and obtain it before you naturalise. Details on how you can apply are on the following page: IF the home office confirm that you have had PR from a date prior to the date they actually issue the card then you can apply for naturalisation once year has passed since that date. If the home office do not acknowledge that you held PR prior to the date that they actually issue the card then you will have o wait until 12 months have passed since the issue of the PR card.When you apply for naturalisation you must ensure that you meet the criteria on the following page: Once you have obtained natuarlisation you will receive a certificate of naturalisation. Once you have obtained your certificate you will have to attend a citizenship ceremony and after this you can apply for a passport for you. Your daughter’s situation is easier. If your daughter was born in the UK and her father was also born in the UK before 1983 then your daughter is automatically a UK citizen. This means that you can apply for her passport straight away. <p class="MsoNormal" style="margin-bottom:0cm;margin-bottom:.0001pt;line-height:
normal">My goal is to provide you with a good service. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply back. Please remember to leave positive feedback using the stars at the top of the page.<p class="MsoNormal" style="margin-bottom:0cm;margin-bottom:.0001pt;line-height:
normal"> <p class="MsoNormal" style="margin-bottom:0cm;margin-bottom:.0001pt;line-height:
normal"> Kind regards,


Thomas and other Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you