How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Lawyer
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 7672
Experience:  UK Lawyer holding practising certficate for England & Wales.
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now

I am a British Citizen. My girl friend has been in the UK

This answer was rated:

I am a British Citizen. My girl friend has been in the UK since November 2013, from Liberia. She applied for assylum and was granted ILR in March 2014. We had a daughter in March 2015 who has a British Passport. We have not been living together yet but we are going to get married, is my future wife entitled to a British Passport?


Thanks for your question.

When do you think you will get married?


Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Probably September this year


Thanks for your question. I will try to help.

The safest way forward would be to wait until March 2017 and then apply for naturalisation.

Once you are married she will obviously be married to a UK citizen. This means that the spouse requirements for naturalisation apply, which are here:

You will see that part of the requirements are that she must have lived in the UK for 3 years before she applies AND that she must not have broken any immigration laws whilst in the UK.

So, given that she received ILR in March 2014 you can be certain from this date that no home office caseworker could claim a breach of immigration rules as from this date.

Therefore the most certain and least controversial way forward would be to wait until March 2017 when 3 years have passed from when she received ILR and then apply for naturalisation.

The fee to naturalise is very expensive (£1236 at the moment) and so I would strongly suggest that you instruct a solicitor to prepare the application for you to check that there is nothing missing from your supporting documentation.

Once the naturalisation application has been approved she will receive a certificate of naturalisation. She can then attend a citizenship ceremony and after this apply for a UK passport.

My goal is to provide you with a good service. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply back. Please remember to leave positive feedback using the stars at the top of the page.

Kind regards,


Thomas and other Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you