How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 71048
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

My brother has been sentenced and it 12 year sentence which

Customer Question

Hi my brother has been sentenced for sexualassault and it 12 year sentence which he will be in prison for at least 6 year's.he wants to apply to court to reduce his sentence.he is in from 27 December 2015.
Is it possible that he can re apply?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

On what basis please?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
One of his colleague told him that he can ask court to reduce his it possible.he is not happy with this sentence as that girl put him in to trouble and he plead guilty because he was forced to do so.he does not understand much English as it's not his first language.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

Not on the facts that you describe.

He can always appeal but then he has to show that his sentence was manifestly excessive. It might be but then he would have received advice to that effect from his barrister.

Also, he is out of time. He had 28 days from the date of sentence to appeal although generally appeals are not refused if they are good ones because of delay.

It is not a good idea to take advice from other inmates.

Can I clarify anything for you?