How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Lawyer
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 7672
Experience:  UK Lawyer holding practising certficate for England & Wales.
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now

My dad is a british citizen living in Tanzania then 12 years

This answer was rated:

My dad is a british citizen living in Tanzania for more then 12 years and he had divorced his ex wife who was also a British citizen who is presently living in London with her 3 grown up children.
He re married a Tanzanian ( my mother) and have 5 kids with her including me. is It possible for us to get british passport?


How did your father obtain his UK citizenship please?

Where and when was your father born please?


Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I do not know much information as our dad kept us always away from it.
I do know my grandfather had a British passport . on my dad's passport its written he was born in Kenya.
his birthdate is 07/08/1958


Thanks for your question. I will try to help.

I’m afraid that if your father was born outside the UK then he would have obtained Uk citizenship by descent. This means that he was not automatically entitled to citizenship by being born in the UK and instead his father’s citizenship had to descend one generation to your father.

This means that your father cannot automatically pass on his citizenship to you if you were born outside the UK. I assume that you are over 18 years of age, but please let me know if you are not.

This means that you are unfortunately not entitled to citizenship.

However, if you are a Tanzanian citizen and you wished to come to the UK to work and eventually settle/naturalise as a UK citizen the you would appear to be eligible for an Ancestry Visa if you can prove that your grandfather was actually born in the UK:

My goal is to provide you with a good service. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply back. Please remember to leave positive feedback using the stars at the top of the page.

Kind regards,


Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm above 18. But I do have two siblings who are still under 18. is there anything can be done for them?

At some point before your siblings were born did your father live in the UK for three years or more?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no. he visited uk and back to Tanzania.

In that case they are in the same position as you, which means that you are not entitled to UK citizenship but you can probably apply for an ancestry visa in order to come to the UK, work and then ultimately apply for indefinite leave to remain after 5 years in the UK and then naturalise as a UK citizen one year after obtaining indefinite leave to remain.

Please remember to leave positive feedback.


Thomas and other Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you