How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask James Mather Your Own Question
James Mather
James Mather,
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 0
Experience:  Senior Partner at Berkson Wallace
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
James Mather is online now

My partner is an Egyptian national living in the UK as the

Customer Question

Hello ,
My partner is an Egyptian national living in the UK as the spouse of an EEA national (they are separated). She intends to divorce him, and we intend to marry (I am a British national). They've been living here more than 1 year , but they're married for less than 3 years, so she does not seem to qualify for retained rights of residence under EEA rules. The Home Office told me she cannot 'switch' from European to UK immigration rules in this country, so she has to return to Egypt and apply for a 'family of a settled person' visa from there. Is there any way to avoid this?? If she must apply outside the UK, does it really have to be in Egypt or could she use any visa application centre? Is there any we she can stay here based on extending her stay in the UK as my partner?
Thank you,
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 1 year ago.


How long will it be until they reach 3 year married?

Is the relationship with the EEA national amicable?