How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Lawyer
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 7673
Experience:  UK Lawyer holding practising certficate for England & Wales.
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now

I'm filling in an MN1 form for my grandson Assistant: Thank

This answer was rated:

I'm filling in an MN1 form for my grandson
Assistant: Thank you. Can you provide any more details to help us find you the right Expert?
Customer: It's complicated! He's 2 weeks old, born in Austria to a father who is British by descent and a Malaysian mother


What is your specific question please?


Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My grandson is 2 weeks old, born in Austria to a father who is British by descent and a Malaysian mother. he does not qualify for automatic citizenship of any of the three countries. We are filling in form MN1, as my son, the baby's father, lived and worked in the UK continuously for 7 years before moving back to Austria where he was born. My question is, would it be better to apply for citizenship on the basis of the child being stateless, in which case we should apply on form S2 or S3?


Thanks for your question. I will try to help.

If you are certain that the child does not qualify for any nationality resulting automatically from his birth then the only conclusion to make is that he is stateless.

On this basis he is born outside the UK to a british father and he is stateless.

However, being stateless does not nescesarily mean that you MUST appy using form s2 (although you probably could if you wish it would take longer than using form MN1).

For this reason I would personally apply using form MN1. You will see that the third paragraph under the heading s3(2) at page 9 of the guidance confirms that the 3 year residence requirement does not apply if the child is stateless and so this is effective confirmation that you can apply using form MN1 even though the child is stateless:

My goal is to provide you with a good service. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply back. Please remember to leave positive feedback using the stars at the top of the page.

Kind regards,


Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. Have you any idea what would be the chances of this application being fast tracked based on the statelessness of the child? Until he has citizenship, he cannot apply for travel documents and therefore cannot leave Austria.


I'm afraid that I am unsure on this point, you can certainly express the urgency in the covering letter to the application in the hope that they will expedite it...


Thomas and other Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you