How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Lawyer
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 7676
Experience:  UK Lawyer holding practising certficate for England & Wales.
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now

My wife is brittish. I apply for a spousal visa and I

This answer was rated:

Hi I'm Cameroonian and my wife is brittish. I apply for a spousal visa and I received 2.5 years. However I'll like to know if can switch it to a 5 year visa before the end of the 2.5 years?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Moreover I lived in the UK for 7 years and we have enough been married for 3.5 years and wondering if I qualify for indefinite leave to remain?


Thanks for your question. I will try to help.

As you are on a spouse visa your only option to extend is to apply for an extension before your current 2.5 years runs out.

When you do this they will grant you a further 2.5 years to that you can reach 5 years residence (ie. living here) in the UK on your spouse visa. They only extend for 2.5 years, not a further 5 years.

Before the extended 2.5 years expires you can apply for “indefinite leave to remain” which is they right to remain permanently in the UK without applying for any more visas.

My goal is to provide you with a good service. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply back. Please remember to leave positive feedback using the stars at the top of the page.

Kind regards,


Thomas and other Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you