How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Solicitor
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 35047
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 with a wide general experience.
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

I would like to marry my Partner who is Jamaican and we

This answer was rated:

I would like to marry my Partner who is Jamaican and we would like to live in the UK. I am a UK Resident and have lived in the UK all my life. What are the current regulations/requirements please?

Thank you for your question

My name is Clare

I shall do my best to help you but I need some further information first

How much do you earn?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It varies - I am self employed as a Banking Consultant. Last year it was around £250k p.a., this year could be slightly less or more. What Is the minimum requirement please?

Are you aware that the site charges extra for a phone call?

The requirement is that you earn more than £18,600 per annum; that your spouse can pass the English test, and that the Health surcharge is paid.

(and the fee of course)

You can read more here

Please ask if you need further details

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you Clare, I was aware of the additional charge for a telephone call, but as one was not available, this does not apply. My partner has two Children who are American. What are the minimum level of my savings required, accommodation requirements and how long do we have to have known each other/been married? I have seen the Application Form and it asks some very detailed questions on this. What evidence of this is required? I am presuming that the Home Office is particularly keen to ensure that we are in a reasonably long and established relationship in order to avoid "sham marriages?" Does the English Test apply to Jamaicans and if so, what is the nature of the test? Is it possible to take the test before getting married? Would this give full and immediate UK Citizenship for my partner and her children. How does the 33 months period work? Are interviews required? What would the total fees be? I saw an application fee of nearly £6k for a mother with 2 children (excluding the health surcharge) quoted on a Government website - is this correct? What is the risk of getting married (in Jamaica) and then having the application declined? Is there an additional risk of being declined after the 33 month period? Apologies for asking so many questions. Thank you, Nigel.

I will be happy to call tomorrow evening if you wish.

How old are the children?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Clare, the Children are 8 year old twins. Yes, a phone call this evening (Saturday) would be very helpful. Thank you, Nigel.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Clare,Do you know approximately what time you will be calling this evening please so that I can plan accordingly?Thank you.Kind regards,Nigel.

My apologies I have only just become free - would you prefer noon tomorrow?

Clare and other Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This evening would be better please as I will be out tomorrow.Many thanks.

Are you free now?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The Health surcharge link is here

English test Centres are here