How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Lawyer
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 7673
Experience:  UK Lawyer holding practising certficate for England & Wales.
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now

Hope you're well. and I am from Sydney Australia. I am

This answer was rated:

Hope you're well. My name is***** and I am from Sydney Australia. I am currently living in London on the Tier 5 Youth Mobility Visa. I am 2 months into my 2 year stay. My grandma has a British passport however was not born in the UK so I was not eligible for the Ancestry Visa. I was wondering if the fact that she does hold a British Passport provide any opportunities to extend my visa?


Thanks for your question. I will try to help.

Unfortunately your grandmother holding a UK passport and UK citizenship does not afford you any additional rights in respect of your Tier 5 visa.

A Tier 5 visa is a visa completely independent of a person’s ancestry.

The ancestry visa has made as a concession to commonwealth persons who had a grandparent actually born in the United Kingdom.

The rules are applied very strictly in this regard and if your grandma or grandpa was not born in the United Kingdom then you are correct in determining that you are not eligible for an ancestry visa.

You can not of course extend your Tier 5 visa beyond two years and so if you wish to explore your options for staying in the United Kingdom then probably the most sensible thing to do would be to look for a job for the purpose of a Tier 2 general visa.

Here is the link to Tier 2 general visas:

You would have to find a job from an employer sponsor willing to sponsor you for this purpose and firstly check to see if there is a job on the shortage occupation list;

If there is no job on this list then you would have to see if the employer is willing to confirm that there are no members of the residential labour force willing and able to do the job at the salary offered.

If you were to secure a job offer and meet the eligibility criteria then you could apply for this visa, but you would have to apply from outside the United Kingdom because switching into this visa from within the UK on a tier 5 visa is not permitted.

I am sorry that I could not have better news for you.

My goal is to provide you with a good service. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply back. Please remember to leave positive feedback using the stars at the top of the page.

Kind regards,


Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for your detailed answer Tom. Will explore the tier 2 visa.Cheers

You're welcome, Sneha.

Please do leave feedback..


Thomas and other Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you