How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Lawyer
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 7663
Experience:  UK Lawyer holding practising certficate for England & Wales.
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now

I have two questions relating to the Turkish Businessperson

This answer was rated:

I have two questions relating to the Turkish Businessperson Visa and the application for this.
Firstly, on the website it states that "proof of your living costs, such as a tenancy agreement, mortgage agreement, utility bills, council tax statement, bank statements, documents relating to transfer of money to relatives abroad" is required for the application.
I would like to know whether it is considered essential that the applicant is named on a tenancy agreement/contract for accommodation order to provide this proof satisfactorily, or are there other means of providing this?
Secondly, the website also states that if the application is made from an applicant already within the UK legally, the applicant is allowed to stay in the UK until a decision has been made on their application (up to 6 months). I would like to know what rights and permissions someone has in this situation. Would they be allowed to work? or study a short term language course?
Kind Regards


Where are you going to apply for the visa from? Will you apply from Turkey?


Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi,The application will be made from the UK. Does it depend on which type of Visa you are already on in the UK when you then make the Turkish Businessperson visa?Thanks


Are you already in the UK? If so please state what visa you have?

If you are not in the UK, how do you propose to come to the UK before you make your business person visa application?


Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi,Not in the UK yet. Either a visitor visa or a short term study visa?Thanks


Thanks for your question. I will try to help.

Unfortunately, you would not be able to apply for the business person’s visa if you were in the uK on a visit visa or short term study visa.

This is because both of these visas are subject to the condition that you must leave before the expiry of the visa and this is taken to mean that you cannot switch in to other categories of visas from within the UK.

This means that you would have to make the application for your business person’s visa from Turkey, otherwise the application would be rejected and the home office would keep the application fee. The government’s website on this sort of thing is really not good and almost misleading in some cases.

The requirement for you to have signed a tenancy agreement is not mandatory, but you have to be able to show that you have sufficient funds to be able to afford the costs of living accommodation in the area in the UK where you propose to live. So, if you were able to provide advertisements or offers of tenancy agreements for suitable accommodation in the area and proof of your ability to pay for them then you would probably be okay.

The basic principle of the evidence that you need to provide is that you must be able to show that you will not be a burden on public funds. It’s a question of degree, so if you were able to demonstrate a large amount of money in your bank account with evidence of available tenancies (albeit that you had not actually executed a tenancy agreement yet) then you would likely be okay.

My goal is to provide you with a good service. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply back. Please remember to leave positive feedback using the stars at the top of the page.

Kind regards,


Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your help.I understand about the visitor and short-term visa conditions, but is this still the case even for a Turkish Businessperson Visa (ECAA Ankara Agreement) application, as opposed to the Tier 1 Entrepreneur. I have seen websites for advisers etc. which suggest this is possible?Thanks again


Sorry, having rechecked the rules it appears that you would be able to switch to the business persons category from within the UK however, you would not be permitted to carry out paid employment until such time as you have switched to the business persons's visa.


Thomas and other Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Tom,I have another query about applying to a Turkish Business Person Visa while already in the UK on a Short Term Study Visa. Do you know if there are any restrictions regarding when the application can be made? Can it be begun while the applicant is still studying? Is there a resource available (online?) which explains in detail the requirements for a Turkish Business Person application? I can't find much information on the Gov.Uk site but I was wondering if there is a document somewhere that might have these details.Many Thanks

I am afraid I am unsure and not available over the next 3 days..