How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Lawyer
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 7660
Experience:  UK Lawyer holding practising certficate for England & Wales.
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now

I have had an indefinite leave to remain in the UK since

This answer was rated:

i have had an indefinite leave to remain in the UK since April 2010 now i need to apply to become a British Citizen , how do i go about it?


Are you married to a UK citizen please?


Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks. Drafting your answer now. 4 mins or so please..


Thanks for your question. I will try to help.

You need to apply to be naturalised as a UK citizen prior to making an application for a passport. Once naturalised you will be able to obtain a passport.

You will need to meet the requirements on the following page in order to be eligible to apply for naturalisation (including the life in the UK test):-

In particular you should note the residential requirement as to any time you have spent out of the country and make sure that you have not spent over the amount stipulated.

You will have to apply by completing the UKBA’s Form AN. Here is the link to the page for how you should apply:-

Please note that you should check that your current citizenship country allows dual citizenship. If it does not then you would probably have to give up your current citizenship in order to naturalise.

Once you have received your certificate of naturalisation, you will have to attend a citizenship ceremony. You can then apply for your UK passport after you have held the ceremony.

My goal is to provide you with a good service. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply back. Please remember to leave positive feedback using the stars at the top of the page.

Kind regards,


Thomas and other Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you