How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Waleed Hassan Your Own Question
Waleed Hassan
Waleed Hassan, Immigration Solicitor
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 67
Experience:  I have extensive knowledge in Immigration, Nationality and Asylum law and have had conducted in lead cases.
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Waleed Hassan is online now

I am a UK citizen and currently live and work in the Cayman

This answer was rated:

I am a UK citizen and currently live and work in the Cayman Islands.
I married my wife on 10/11/2011 in the Cayman Islands
She is a Turkish citizen.
I am about to retire and wish to bring my wife to the UK to live with me.
I own a three bedroom house in the UK.
I will get a UK pension.
Can you advise the best and most cost effective way to proceed with regard to Visa requirements.

Thank you for your query.

You state that you are married and now looking to move back to the UK.

To bring your wife with you to the UK, you will make to make an entry clearance application for her as your spouse. One of the requirements is that you must be earning in the UK £18,600 gross. If you have a cash saving of £65,000, then you can use this to meet the financial requirement.

You state that you are about to retire and that you will get a pension. The law on this is that if someone is getting a pension, you can use this towards the £18,600 gross income per year.

I am providing you with a link which sets out the financial requirement in full and the different ways that you can try and meet the financial requirement:

Please do not forget to rate my answer.


Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will be unable to meet the income requirements for her entry and as a result I will sell my house to make the £65,000 cash savings requirement. I own the house outright and have done so for the last 25 years.
Can I bring her to the UK on a family visit visa, so that we can stay together, and then later upgrade my application from the UK once the house is sold?

Thank you for your query.

Your wife can apply for a family visit visa but one of the requirement is that she cannot stay in the UK for more than 6 months in a year. In addition, your wife cannot apply for an upgrade visa while in the uk. She must return and apply for an entry clearance as a spouse.

I would now be grateful if you would kindly rate my initial answer. Many thanks.

Waleed Hassan and other Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you