How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Lawyer
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 7675
Experience:  UK Lawyer holding practising certficate for England & Wales.
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now

I am a Colombian Citizen living in the UK since July 2011. I

This answer was rated:

I am a Colombian Citizen living in the UK since July 2011. I got a Residence Card of a Family Member on an EEA National (my husband) valid from July 12th 2012 until July 12th 2017. I did my life in the UK test and the english test and I passes both 1 week ago. My question is: Should I apply for the Indefinitely Right to Remain before the British Passport or should I apply for the British passport straight away, and when can I do it?
Thank you very much for your help.


Thanks for your question. I will try to help.

If you are here on an EEA residence card, then you must apply for the EEA equivalent of “indefinite leave to remain” which is called “permanent residence”.

Here is the webpage on applying for PR and you will see there are links to how you can apply:

They changed the rules a couple of years ago so that all applicants here under EEA rules wishing to apply for naturalisation must first apply for PR.

So, if you were to apply for naturalisation without first having applied for confirmation of PR then the application would be rejected and the very expensive naturalisation fee would be kept./

You must apply for confirmation of your PR and then because the naturalisation residence requirements state that you must be free from immigration times restrictions for 12 months you must wait a further 12 months from the date that you get pR and then you can apply for naturalisation.

My goal is to provide you with a good service. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply back. Please remember to leave positive feedback using the stars at the top of the page.

Kind regards,


Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you very much for your answer. When can I appli for the PR?


Did you get an EEA family permit before you travelled to the UK?


Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi TomNo, I got my visa after I arrived to the UK. Please find attached the files. The first one is until O got the 5 years one. I have everything ready and I would like to know If I can apply now or if I should to wait until July 2017. Thank you.


That's your family permit, so you will be able to apply 5 years from the date that you traveled to the UK on it.

Please remember to leave feedback


Thomas and other Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks, ***** ***** so 5 years since November 2011 or since July 2012.


If you traveled to the UK on the family permit in November 2011 then you can apply for PR in November 2016


Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks a million for your help.
I already wrote my feedback.BWSandra

You're welcome.