How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Solicitor
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 35037
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 with a wide general experience.
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

I require assistance in inviting my partner to the UK from

Customer Question

I require assistance in inviting my partner to the UK from egypt. He is a Coptic Christian and 9 years ago he married in egypt they separated 8 years ago, however the Coptic church in egypt does not issue a divorce unless he changes his religion. We cannot marry in egypt as the court over there won't issue a civil divorce until the church approves it. I regularly visit him in egypt however would like to know what we could do to allow me to sponsor him to settle with me in the UK. I am not sure if his previous marriage is recognised in UK and as they had separated over 8 years ago. I have thought about inviting him on a fiancé visa but do not want to get into trouble re polygamy if the previous marriage is recognised under UK law. I hope you can help me in this matter.
Thank you
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question

My name is Clare

I shall do my best to help you but I need some further information first

What is your financial position?

How long have you known each other?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have my own house, earn about 18,600 per annum and have savings over £20,000. We have known each other for nearly 5 years now. We are in a geniuine relationship.
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.

I am afraid the Uk does indeed recognise his marriage not withstanding the lengthy separation

However this does not preclude him coming here on a Fiancee visa on the basis that after 12 months residence her he will be able to issue a divorce petition based on that separation

the details of eligibility - and how to apply - are here

Please ask if you need further details

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I thought on a fiance visa you had to get married within 6 months?
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.

That is a marriage visa.

The actual term for the visa you would apply for is a "family of a settled person visa" - you would need to engaged to fulfil the requirements

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the family of settled person visa says both people would have to show any previous relationship had permanetly broken down. Would i have to declare he is still legally married? Also i dont know if he would be classed as my partner as we have not lived together for a period of 2 years.
Is this the right visa? because it still shows if engaged that we would need to show we intend to get married within 6 months.Thank You
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
please can u reply to my message above thanks