How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Lawyer
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 7676
Experience:  UK Lawyer holding practising certficate for England & Wales.
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now

I was born in Bermuda, and still reside there. My mother was

This answer was rated:

I was born in Bermuda, and still reside there.
My mother was born and raised in England to British parents before marring my father and moving to Bermuda.
I would like to apply for a British Passport that will give me the right of abode in England.


What was your mother's date of birth please?

Where and when was your father born please?


Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Mother was born, August 4th 1928 in Birmingham ,
Father was born October 3rd, 1926 in Bermuda


Thanks, ***** ***** the delay.

Final questions, when were you born please?

Was your father married to your mother?


Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I was born October 7th. 1958.
Yes my mother and father were married in England


Thanks for your question. I will try to help.

Your is a complicated situation because before 1983 mothers could not automatically pass on their citizenship.

This means that you are not automatically a UK citizen.

However, because of the manifest unfair nature of the rule there is an allowance that persons in this situation can apply to register as UK citizens. If successful they receive a certificate of registration as a UK citizen and can thereafter apply for a UK passport.

The requirements are confirmed in the following document at page 4.

You would appear to meet these on the basis that you would have to become a Uk citizen in 1983 if your mother were able to pass on her citizenship and because your mother was a UK citizen and also your grandparents.

The application form is contained on the following page:

My goal is to provide you with a good service. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply back. Please remember to leave positive feedback using the stars at the top of the page.

Kind regards,


Thomas and other Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you