How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Lawyer
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 7672
Experience:  UK Lawyer holding practising certficate for England & Wales.
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now

I am a British citizen since birth, My wife is from Morocco

This answer was rated:

I am a British citizen since birth, My wife is from Morocco and she has lived here for over 3 years as she came here on a 6month fiancée visa,then her first 2 1/2 year flm visa she is now into her second flm visa before she will apply for indefinite leave to remain in 2018,she has a daughter from a previous relationship (dad has never had contact since birth) we are now finacialy able to bring her over but don't know if we are allowed yet, Can we bring her daughter over to the U.K to live with us even tho my wife has not indefinite leave to remain as we want her now.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am sorry but this service is telling me I will get an answer in 8 minutes and its been at least 25 , why is it taking so long as I really need to know. so then I can plan my next steps and get the next lot of advice I need.


I cannot have a telephone call I'm afraid.

Do you still wish to proceed?

What age is your step daughter please?


Customer: replied 1 year ago.
she is 8 so well under 18, I earn around £30,000 plus a year and been with the same employer for 7 years and my wife works at the same company for over 12months and earns £22,000 plus a year so meeting financial means should not be an issue
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My main concern is that my wife does not have indefinite leave to remain yet and cant get it until she has finished this last visa in march 2018, but that is to long to wait we wish to bring her now, my self and wife also have a son who is 3 years old he is my son and he is British, So this girl is also his sister as well and we all want to be a family together, we could not bring her before as I would not have been able to meet the financial requirments but now I assume we can with our joint income.


Thanks for your question. I will try to help.

The basic answer is, yes, you can apply for her to join you in the UK even though your wife does not have ILR yet.

However, I would strongly recommend that you instruct a local immigration solicitor to make the application on her behalf because it can be quite complicated.

The reason that it is a little more complicated than normal is because you have to show proof that the father of the child does not dispute that the child is relocated to the UK (even though he has been absent). This means either getting his consent in the appropriate form or otherwise probably an order from a Moroccan court ordering that the child is permitted to leave the UK and settle in the UK.

This proof is why you need to instruct a solicitor.

On the basis of the salary information you have provided you would also meet the financial requirement to bring her here.

My goal is to provide you with a good service. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply back. Please remember to leave positive feedback using the stars at the top of the page.

Kind regards,


Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I think we would be able to get an order from the judge saying its ok fairly easy, the dad does not even know the girl is even his or born so that would be impossible and we do not know where he lives either and its best kept that way, so what you think that as long as we can get Moroccan courts permission for her to leave and letters from my wife's family (she has been living with them since birth and since my wife joined me here in the U.K saying they are happy for my wife's daughter to come to the U.K it should be ok, ( I will also be paying for solicitor to help with the application as well ) but you don't for see any hard problems .


Provided you can get a court order from Morrocca and have this translated/certified then you will be okay, although obviously you will have to gather all the usual evidence.

Please do remember to leave feedback using the stars at the top of the page..


Thomas and other Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you