How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Lawyer
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 7660
Experience:  UK Lawyer holding practising certficate for England & Wales.
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now

My age is 68 years and my wife is 62 years. We want o invest

This answer was rated:

Dear Sir/ Madam
My age is 68 years and my wife is 62 years. We want o invest in a small business in UK and employ two people on full time basis.
What are the minimum funds required for us to do business in the UK for us to get an indefinite stay in the UK.
Best regards
Sushil Soni (Mr) and Sima Soni (Mrs)


Thanks for your question. I will try to help.

I assume that you are both non-UK, non-eea citizens.

This means that you would have to show that you will invest £200, 000 gbp in the business in the UK which you will operate and run, employing the staff that you refer to.

This is part of the eligibility criteria in order to apply for a Tier 1 entrepreneur visa. The webpage on this type of visas is here:

The application is quite complicated in terms of the evidence of both of you and the business that you will set up/run/invest in, so I would strongly recommend that you instruct a UK based solicitor to act on your behalf, check your business set up, draft the application and check your supporting evidence.

This type of visa leads to indefinite leave to remain after you have been in the UK on it for 5 years. It can lead to ILR after three years occasionally where the business has been very successful and you have employed a number of staff.

My goal is to provide you with a good service. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply back. Please remember to leave positive feedback using the stars at the top of the page.

Kind regards,


Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Dear *****
Many thanks for your prompt response.Since we would need some time to look for a viable business can we get an extended stay in the UK beyond the six months that we are allowed?


You would have to make the application from outside the UK. If you proposed to apply for a visit visa then you would not be allowed to carry out any business activities and would have to leave the UK before the expiry of the 6 months visit visa.

The tier 1 visa would be granted for between 24 months to 3 years and 4 months to allow you time to set up your business and get it up and running.

Please remember to leave feedback using the stars at the top of the page.


Thomas and other Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Many thanks Tom. Can you please give me the contact of a UK based solicitor who can do all the paperwork necessary on our behalf.


I cannot give recommendations under the terms of this site.

You can use the following find a solicitor site to get search results of immigration solicitors:


Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you very much for your assistance Tom. I am very impressed with your service. Will definitely refer you to my friends.

You're welcome. Good luck.