How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Lawyer
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 7673
Experience:  UK Lawyer holding practising certficate for England & Wales.
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now

How do I get a British passport for my Hungarian born son. I

This answer was rated:

How do I get a British passport for my Hungarian born son. I am a British citizen


When did you obtain UK citizenship?

When did you obtain "permanent residence"?

When was your son born please?


Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I was born British I have always been a British citizen / uK passport holder , my son Oliver Dowding was born 27 January 2006 his mother is Hungarian and he was born in Budapest Hungary. He currently holds a Hungarian passport
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My sons mother and I are not married but we both would like Oliver my son to have a British passport


Just to clarify, you were born in the UK to UK parents, correct?


Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That is correct


Thanks for your question. I will try to help.

If your son was born outside the UK before 1st July 2006 to you (a UK citizen) and an EEA mother but you and the mother were not married then he is entitled to UK citizenship but you must register him as such before you apply for his passport.

The registration form used in these circumstances would be UKF and you will see that the following link contains both the guide to registration in such circumstances (so that you can confirm his eligibility for yourself) and the application form in order to apply for his certificate of registration:

Once you have obtained his certificate of registration then you can apply for his UK passport. He will be a UK citizen by descent, which means that he will have all the same rights that any other UK citizen has except that he would not automatically be able to pass on his own citizenship to his children if they are born outside the UK.

My goal is to provide you with a good service. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply back. Please remember to leave positive feedback using the stars at the top of the page.

Kind regards,


Thomas and other Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you