How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Lawyer
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 7673
Experience:  UK Lawyer holding practising certficate for England & Wales.
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now

My daughter is a naturalized British citizen. She has

This answer was rated:

My daughter is a naturalized British citizen. She has recently given birth to a girl in Switzerland. Can she apply for a British passport for this new-born girl ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the girl was born about 3 months ago.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
she has got birth certificate from swiss authority


What nationality is the father of the child please?


Customer: replied 1 year ago.


Thanks for your question. I will try to help.

Provided that your daughter was naturalised before the child was born then the child will be automatically entitled to UK citizenship under the British Nationality Act 1983.

This is because your daughter is a UK citizen “otherwise than by descent” because she has naturalised, which means that the child is automatically a UK citizen. However, as the child is born outside the UK they will have UK citizenship “by descent” which means that they will have all the rights of other UK citizens except that they will not be able to pass on their own citizenship to their child (your great-grandchildren) if they are born outside the UK.

Your daughter can apply for the child’s passport in the normal way.

My goal is to provide you with a good service. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply back. Please remember to leave positive feedback using the stars at the top of the page.

Kind regards,


Thomas and other Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you