How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Lawyer
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 7677
Experience:  UK Lawyer holding practising certficate for England & Wales.
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now

Eea national.Can I apply for permanent residency based on

This answer was rated:

Eea national.Can I apply for permanent residency based on any continues 5 years of practicing treaty of rights?I was employed for 7 years but last 2 years I am stay at home mum.Can I still apply?


What benefits have you claimed in the past two years please?


Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am registered as self employed and paying NI contribution.However I don't work and I am supported by my husband.He is non EEA family member on 5 years spouse visa.We have child tax credits and child benefit.


Thanks for your question. I will try to help.

An EEA national may apply for permanent residence after 5 years exercising treaty rights. Usually you can meet this by working but you can also meet it where you have been “self-sufficient” which effectively means where you are not working but have not claimed excessive benefits.

If you have only claiming child tax credits and child benefit then I would expect that you would still be okay and receive PR after you apply for confirmation of it, especially if you are able to demonstrate that you worked for 7 years up to the recent period where you have been a mother at home.

You can apply using the links on the following page:

My goal is to provide you with a good service. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply back. Please remember to leave positive feedback using the stars at the top of the page.

Kind regards,


Thomas and other Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you very much.

Your welcome