How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask frantzgregory Your Own Question
frantzgregory, Lawyer
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 763
Experience:  Over 5 years dealing with EEA Law, Nationality, Immigration and Asylum Law.
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
frantzgregory is online now

My friend is a Brazilian she is here in England on a tourist

Customer Question

My friend is a Brazilian she is here in England on a tourist visa which expires in early November. She has been offered a position as an au pair by a family in London and they are happy to pay her visa fee and sponsorship to be here working for the family. Does she need to return to Brazil to do this process? What would she and the family need to do? What documents and proof are needed from the family? What are the costs involved for sponsorships and visa for this. Can she stay in the U.K. Now and do it before she leaves for Brazil and not leave? Is there a way to do this fast for an extra fee with the U.K. Border agency? Thanks
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Immigration Law
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Also can she study as a student here too and be an au pair? Is this possible and what would she need to do all of what I have asked? What's the best approach? Thanks
Expert:  frantzgregory replied 1 year ago.


Thank you for your enquiry.

Your girl is here on a visitors visa. She is not able to switch visas in the country for work or study on a standard visitors visa. She will have to leave the UK and make her application from Brazil. If she succeeds in getting a student visa, she will be able to work 20hrs during term time as an au pair.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If she just wants to be an au pair? She needs to go back to Brazil and apply there? What type of visa will she need? Also she has a family that will sponsor her. So what do the family need to do to help with this? I think the au pair visa would be more important than a student visa. When can she come back to the uk to be an au pair? What will the family need to provide as a sponsor and what costs are involved? Thanks
Expert:  frantzgregory replied 1 year ago.

There are very limited options for non-eu nationals to work in the UK as an Au Pair. Your friend will need to apply for a Tier 2 work visa and be sponsored by an employer who has a sponsorship licence. Brazil is not one of the participation countries under the youth mobility scheme and therefore a Tier 5 (YMS) visa is not an option.