How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Lawyer
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 7676
Experience:  UK Lawyer holding practising certficate for England & Wales.
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now

My daughter is here on an ancestry visa via her father. I am

Customer Question

My daughter is here on an ancestry visa via her father. I am her 64 year old American mother. Is there a way she can 'sponsor' me to come live and work in the uk? I am a special education teacher certified in ny. Also, I worked in the uk 25 years ago for a us based management consultant company who did a 3 year project for nat west. How do you recommend I proceed with my desire to live and work here? Through my 24 year old daughter who has been here 1.5 years on an ancestry visa? As a teacher? Or as a management consultant? I don't have a company sponsoring me
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 1 year ago.


Thanks for your question. I will try to help.

Unfortunately, your daughter is not permitted to sponsor you if she is on an ancestry visa. The only family that she could would be her spouse or children. You will see that this is unfortunately confirmed here:

If you do not have access to significant funds for investment, are not married/in a relationship with a UK national/foreign national or person with ILR then you would probably have to switch in to a Tier 2 Sponsored Skilled Worker visa

This means that you would be looking at applying under the Tier 2 Sponsored Skilled Workers Visa provisions. You will have to see if there is a job that you could do in the UK on the shortage occupation list:-

If your job is not on this list then this means that you employer would have to apply to become a licensed sponsor of skilled migrants and also confirm to the home office that they have carried out a the Resident Labour Market Test. This test is effectively to show that their are no resident/eea national in the locality that can perform your role,.

You would have to then secure a job offer from a UK employer who is or would become a licensed sponsor of skilled migrants:-

Apart from this there the only other option if you wished to work would be if you were a world leader in your employment field and got a sponsor from the regulatory body in question for a tier 2 exceptional talent visa:

If none of the above is applicable then you would only be able to visit, but if you were going to visit frequently then it would be a good idea to apply for a long term multi entry visit visa on a 2, 5 or 10 year basis whereby you are permitted to enter/leave/enter as many times as you like within the period but subject to not spending more than 6 months in any 12 months period in the UK,

My goal is to provide you with a good service. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply back. Please remember to leave positive feedback using the stars at the top of the page.

Kind regards,


Expert:  Thomas replied 1 year ago.


Is there any further information you require?

I just want to ensure that you are satisfied, so please let me know if you have any further queries on the information I have provided. If you have no further questions then please do leave positive feedback using the stars at the top of the page.

Kind regards,