How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Lawyer
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 7676
Experience:  UK Lawyer holding practising certficate for England & Wales.
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now

I am from Romania, I live in UK from December 2010, but I

This answer was rated:

Hello. My name is***** am from Romania, I live in UK from December 2010, but I can prove with documents that I live here from august 2010 when I start to work as self employed or from November when I got NIN. In octomber 2011 I got married here. Currently I'M studying home a course of level 2 AAT certificate in accountancy (becouse I have a 3 years old baby)... next year, in January 2017 I want to apply for British citizenship ..... so ..My question is .. Can I apply for citizenship if I DO NOT HAVE registration certificate / Yellow / Blue / Card or Indefinite Leave to Remain ????????


Thanks for your question. I will try to help.

Unfortunately, you now have to apply for permanent residence and received your permanent residence card before you can apply for naturalisation. If you do not have PR card when you apply to naturalise then your application would be rejected.

Although the restrictions no Romanian nationals have now been relaxed, you still have to show that you complied with the rules in place at the time otherwise the time may not count towards PR.

However, if you were self-employed and not studying between 1st January 2014 then it would probably be okay that you may not have had a yellow card and you would be now able to apply for PR provided you can show you exercised treaty rights for 5 years.

Once you have obtained PR you can wait a further 12 months and then apply to naturalise provi9ded that you meet the criteria on the following page

My goal is to provide you with a good service. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply back. Please remember to leave positive feedback using the stars at the top of the page.

Kind regards,


Customer: replied 1 year ago.
if I understood well, If I was still working as self employed in January 2014, I can Apply NOW for permanent residence, and after that to wait another year for brithish citizenship?? And if I do not obtain permanent residence?? what I do next?


If you were working self employed from when you came to the UK to January 2014 then it does not matter that you did not have a yellow card and then the rules were relaxed after that, so this means that you should not be rejected for this reason for PR.

Once you have PR you must wait 12 months and then apply for naturalization, yes.

If you do not obtain PR then what you have to do will depend on the specific reasons for the rejection.

Please remember to leave feedback.


Customer: replied 1 year ago.
if I have a son , born here (3 years old) I have to apply even for him separately for PR?


Yes, you can apply for your son as well. However, if you obtain PR then you can simply register your child as a UK citizen by applying for registration on his behalf. This is because he was born in the UK and because you have subsequently obtained PR whilst he is a minor, so I would do this instead.

The webpage on applying for registration for your child once you have PR is here:


Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you very much. Please, one last question... my husband have a 5 years visa , residence card of a family member of an EEA National, if I take the PR , he have to apply even him for PR? OR he has to wait to apply for permanent remaining?


If he has been here on his residence card then he should apply for PR at the same time as you, yes.

Please leave feedback using the stars at the top of the page.


Thomas and other Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you very much.... have a nice day.

Thanks. you too.