Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 with a wide general experience.
13262538

Been living in Qatar the last 5 years. My husband is Syrian

Hello, I am British and been living in Qatar the last 5 years. My husband is Syr***** *****ving in Qatar for the last 7 years. He has been refused a visit visa to the U.K. Twice so we were planning to have our first baby in Qatar so that we're together. The baby is due in March! I can't find any clear advice on whether our baby will be entitled to a British passport if born in Qatar, are you able to advise? We obviously don't want any problems with this as a Syrian passport for our child is not an option with the current situation. I don't want to travel to the U.K. To have the baby unless I absolutely must. I've contacted the passport office 3 times, verbally they told me as I'm the mother it's automatic but I've heard stories of similar situations in Middle East where it hasn't happened. Thank you for your help. Louise

Thank you for your question

I shall do my best to help you but I need some further informtaion first

Where were you born?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Clare, thanks for getting back to me
I was born in Newmarket, Suffolk, U.K. Parents, grandparents etc all British.

Then your baby is indeed entitled to a british passport and you can apply for a passport for the baby as soon as t is born

However your child will NOT automatically be able to pass his or her nationality to their child unless the child is then born in the Uk,

but I suspect that your potential grandchildren are NOT your priority at the moment!

Please ask if you need further details

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you Clare! If for any reason the passport was denied would I have a right to appeal and fight for it? It seems that whenever Syria is mentioned in any documents these days that the application in question is denied.

You will not need to - this is your right as a British born british citizen - and since you are the mother no one can demand a DNA test!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you! You've really put our minds at ease! I really didn't want to have the baby without my husband present!
Are you're company able to assist in a future visa application for my husband?

Sadly we are a question and answer site and cannot make any applications on your behalf.

However I do have very able colleagues who may be able to deal with any queries you have about the process.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you Clare, we won't be applying for his visa again until middle of next year so I will keep your details and contact you then. Thank you once again for all your help

That is fine - good luck with the baby