How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Lawyer
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 7882
Experience:  UK Lawyer holding practising certficate for England & Wales.
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now

I married to a Vietnamese lady and she want to come and stay

This answer was rated:

I married to a Vietnamese lady and she want to come and stay with me for 6 months how do we stand on this
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
would it be better for her to come on a tourist visa for this period


Thanks for your patience.

What nationality are you please?

You only want her to come for a visit and not permanently? Correct?


Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I am a British national
yes all we want is for her to visit for about 6 months we not looking for her to move here permanently at this tis time


Fo your earn more than £18600 per annim from salaried employment?

Please confirm and I will be able to answer at about 45 mins..


Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I self employed builder my earnings are about 25,000 per year


Thanks for your question. I will try to help.

She would have to apply for a standard visit visa before she travels, if she is simply coming here for a visit and then leaving.

The eligibility criteria for a visitor's visa is as follow (as I am sure you know), is that you need to show that:-

· You want to visit the UK for no more than six months;

· You intend to leave the UK at the end of your visit;

· You have enough money to support yourself during your stay in the UK without working or needing help from public funds

You have to try and show them that she has continuing obligations in her home country which will continue after the visit and therefore convince them that she is not a risk of overstay because she at present has compelling family and social/work ties to her home country which mean that she will not attempt to secure a permanent stay here whilst she is visiting. Things like a letter from her employer stating she has a job (if he does) and is expected to return to continue that job, return flight tickets, evidence of continuing accommodation (eg. tenancy agreement of evidence of ownership of a property), bank statements showing the money she has available, letters from relatives/friends confirming any obligations she has to them.

If you are based in the UK and will assist her during the intended stay you should go to a local solicitor to draft a sponsorship declaration in which you state the terms of the visit, that you are to return at the end of it, that although you are in a relationship with her you both know that she MUST leave at the end of the visit because it would harm the chances of any future application made to secure leave to remain on the basis of that relationship, that you shall accommodate you and shall pay the costs of any unforeseen expenses that should occur during his stay so that nether of you will need to access public funds.

This should cost around £50+vat and you can find immigration solicitors via:-


The home offcier are suspicious of one party to a couple visiting the other party in the UK because of the huge problem with overstayers he so you have to give them as much documentary evidence as you can that indicates that her life remains back her home country.

The reason that I mention the money is that you may consider providing evidence that you meet the financial criteria for a spouse visa (t he income threshold is £18600 per annum) and could therefore apply for a spouse visa if that was your intention, but that only a visit is planned. By showing you could apply for a spouse visa if she was intending to stay you sort of add credibility to the visit visa application (if you see what I mean).

My goal is to provide you with a good service. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply back. Please remember to leave positive feedback using the stars at the top of the page.

Kind regards,



Is there any further information you require?

I just want to ensure that you are satisfied, so please let me know if you have any further queries on the information I have provided. If you have no further questions then please do leave positive feedback using the stars at the top of the page.

Kind regards,


Thomas and 2 other Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi Thomas
thank you for all your help I do have one more question to ask you I was wondering weather you would be able to help me draw up a letter of invite I have asked a few solicitors but none seem to do this kind of request all we going for is a tourist visa which she can stay here for the 6 months
Thanks again for all your helpAndy


I cannot give specific legal advice under the conditions of the site . Drafting a letter would be specific advice so I must decline.


Customer: replied 2 years ago.
ok I understand I again thank you for all your helpAndy

Your welcome