How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask frantzgregory Your Own Question
frantzgregory, Lawyer
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 838
Experience:  Over 5 years dealing with EEA Law, Nationality, Immigration and Asylum Law.
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
frantzgregory is online now

I have been married to my British husband for over 3 &1/2

Customer Question

Hi Thomas,I have been married to my British husband for over 3 &1/2 years and I am of Nepalese citizen. I am on spouse visa which will expire in April, 2018 and upon its renewal, i will be granted Indefinite leave to remain (ILR). I am on a 5 year route. My question is if I and my husband have to seperate next year, will this effect my status to live and work in UK? Do i need to leave the country? I arrived in London in September, 2010 on student visa and got married in April 2013. It would be great if you could clarify on this.Thanks,
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  frantzgregory replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your enquiry.

One of the requirements of a family-based application and in your case as a partner (spousal visa) is that your relationship is genuine and subsisting.

If you separate from your husband, you would no longer meet the requirement and would have to apply on your own accord and this may require you to leave the UK to apply for entry clearance.

I hope this clarifies your question. Please rate.