How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask frantzgregory Your Own Question
frantzgregory, Lawyer
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 889
Experience:  Over 5 years dealing with EEA Law, Nationality, Immigration and Asylum Law.
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
frantzgregory is online now

My son, daughter and I came to the United Kingdom in 2001 to

This answer was rated:

My son, daughter and I came to the United Kingdom in 2001 to be with my wife (who is a British Citizen, who I married in 1981 in Rhodesia.) and mother of my son and daughter and applied for permanent residence. I was given leave to remain in the United Kingdom until the 27th February 2003. During that time I was waiting for an answer for permanent residence. On the 14th April 2003 my children and I received a leave to remain in the United Kingdom for an indefinite period.
Please can you advise me whether I need to take the test. My South African passport expired 3rd March 2004 and I had no reason to renew it. I have just found out that my eldest brother in Australia has prostate cancer and he has had it for three years. I haven't seen my family for thirty years.
Please can I become a British Citizen and get a passport so I can see my Brother before he dies.
I couldn't talk online to a Solicitor because I'm to emotional. My email is***@******.***
Thank You
Shane Lombard .


Thank you for your enquiry.

You have options here.

Option 1 apply to renew your South African passport, which will allow you to travel out but you must also travel with the old passport containing your ILR. OK you may also need a visa to visit Australia.

Option 2 apply to naturalise as British but the process can take up to 6 months or more. Once you have been naturalised you can then apply for a British passport. The whole process can take time to complete from start to finish so may not be the appropriate option if time is of the essence.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Hello Frantz, thank you for the advice. I will try to renew my South African passport and apply for a visa for Australia. Frantz I also want to get my British Citizenship and passport. I'm still not sure if I need to take the test. In The 2017 Life in the UK Test book I'm studying chapter 4 about 06;40 (its an audio book) it says that if you are already settled in UK and are applying for Citizenship you don't need to do the test. Frantz I don't have much money and if I apply for citizenship and get turned down, I don't get any money back. That's why I need to ask you for your expert opinion, I down loaded it from Amizon to my Kindle Fire HDX (3rd Generation).


If you have already done the Life in the UK test as part of your indefinite leave to remain application then you don't need to do it again.

frantzgregory and other Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you