How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask frantzgregory Your Own Question
frantzgregory, Lawyer
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 892
Experience:  Over 5 years dealing with EEA Law, Nationality, Immigration and Asylum Law.
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
frantzgregory is online now

I hold a Malaysian passport with a PR stamp in my expired

This answer was rated:

Hi I hold a Malaysian passport with a PR stamp in my expired passport dated 2003 which i used for travelling and work purpose to proof permanent resident status in UK.Now I was told I cant used the stamp in an expired passport for employment purpose, hence was told to apply for a BRP. In wake of this situation, what would you advise should i apply for BRP or for British passport pls? Ive live here in UK since April 2008 fulfilled the 5 years PR stay not leaving UK more than 540 days absence.


You cannot apply for a Britsh passport until you have applied to naturalise as British using form AN.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Thanks. Thats what I meant which route should I take apply for BRP by using NTL form or option 2 download AN form for Naturalisation which involve UK life test and English test.

Depends on what you want? If you want to be British then option 2 if not option 1. Does Malaysian government recognise dual nationalities?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Im not sure about dual nationality but based on the backlog processing HO has. My concern how long processing will take for NTL or AN which affects my present opportunity for engaging in seeking new employment recruitment firms as tbey are the one who advise me to get a BRP bcos of stamped ILR in an accompanying expired passport is no longer valid. Ive just been made redundant on 13/8. Hence Im in a limbo situation.

Both can take up two 6 months.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Is equal waiting time, thanks and
appreciate your response. AN form has to 2 tier fees 1 for naturalisation and 1 for register. Which fee applies to me pls?

Naturalisation applies to you.

frantzgregory and other Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Thanks Frantz