How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Lawyer
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 7663
Experience:  UK Lawyer holding practising certficate for England & Wales.
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now

I am a EU citizen who has relocated to UK in July this year.

This answer was rated:

I am a EU citizen who has relocated to UK in July this year. My Kenyan girlfriend plans to visit me (for 8-10 days only, due to job reasons), and I understand that for obtaining the visa I have to make a formal invitation (please explain where I can make such invitation, and what kind of documents I need).
As regards ***** ***** status, I prepaid my London flat for 12 months in advance, and besides that I've got some 3,000 British pounds on my current account. Would this be sufficient proof of my ability to cover the costs of her visiting me in UK? If not, how much money would I be expected to present.
In some internet forum I read that I had to present a calculation of the expected costs of my gf's travel at UK immigrations. My calculation would be as follows (British pounds): airtravel 500, food 200, travel & health insurance 100, sightseeing 200 (in total: 1,000).
Thanks for your advice.


Thanks for your question. I will try to help.

Your invitation letter can be fairly straight forward, expressing that you would like her to visit you and stay with you for the short period. It should acknowledge that the stay is temporary only and that she will return. Refer to the flight dates and times. State that you will not require her to pay any money to you for accommodation during the stay.

I would also provide her with a copy of your tenancy and a receipt from the landlord confirming that you have prepaid your rent for the period that she is coming for or longer.

The budget looks reasonable but it should be laid out in calculation form.

The eligibility criteria for a visitor's visa is as follow (as I am sure you know), is that you need to show that:-

· You want to visit the UK for no more than six months;

· You intend to leave the UK at the end of your visit;

· You have enough money to support yourself during your stay in the UK without working or needing help from public funds

You have to try and show them that she has continuing obligations in her home country which will continue after the visit and therefore convince them that she is not a risk of overstay because she at present has compelling family and social/work ties to her home country which mean that she will not attempt to secure a permanent stay here whilst she is visiting. Things like a letter from her employer stating she has a job (if he does) and is expected to return to continue that job, return flight tickets, evidence of continuing accommodation (eg. tenancy agreement of evidence of ownership of a property), bank statements showing the money she has available, letters from relatives/friends confirming any obligations she has to them.

If you are based in the UK and will assist her during the intended stay you should go to a local solicitor to draft a sponsorship declaration in which you state the terms of the visit, that you are to return at the end of it, that although you are in a relationship with her you both know that she MUST leave at the end of the visit because it would harm the chances of any future application made to secure leave to remain on the basis of that relationship, that you shall accommodate you and shall pay the costs of any unforeseen expenses that should occur during his stay so that nether of you will need to access public funds.

This should cost around £50+vat and you can find immigration solicitors via:-


The home office are suspicious of one party to a couple visiting the other party in the UK because of the huge problem with overstayers he so you have to give them as much documentary evidence as you can that indicates that her life remains back in her home country and that there are verifiable reasons which will compel her to return.

My goal is to provide you with a good service. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply back. Please remember to leave positive feedback using the stars at the top of the page.

Kind regards,


Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Hi ThomasThank you for the explanationShe's been working for six years for a supermarket chain and has got a letter from her employer stating that she gets days off for travelling to UK. Besides that she's got a 9-year old son who awaits his mom to return. So all that looks good.My gf is a muslim and quite religious. She could easily provide for a recommendation letter issued by her imam. I was wondering if such letter would help us, or if we have to fear any form of discrimination of muslim visitors.Final questions:Do I have to prepare two documents, (i) a personal letter of invitation and (ii) a sponsorship declaration, or does the sponsorship declaration cover everything?
Is it correct that I send these documents to my gf so that she can present them in Nairobi, or do I have to present them here in UK?
You recommend to present return flight tickets, but what are we going to do if the visa application is denied?Kind regards

Hi Raol,

The employer letter would help. The imam letter would not be detrimental to her case, but it would not be particularly persuasive so I probably wouldn't bother with it.

I would prepare the letter of invitation separately and refer to it in your statutory declaration.

Yes, they should be sent to your girlfriend for her to present.

Please remember to leave feedback.>


Thomas and other Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you