How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Barrister Khan Your Own Question
Barrister Khan
Barrister Khan, Barrister
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 58
Experience:  Excellent legal grip
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Barrister Khan is online now

I have been legally in uk for 52 yrs first married then

This answer was rated:

I have been legally in uk for 52 yrs first married then divorced and now retired after higher education here and years of working in education. Have I got automatic right to claim citizenship or do I need to go through the usual immigration rules and requirements for citizenship. Thankyou. Ps I am a German citizen
If you are an EU citizen and have been living in the UK for 6 or more years you could be eligible to make an application to be naturalised and acquire British Citizenship.The application for British citizenship is much the same as for non-EU migrants, but in short:You must have been in the UK for 6 or more years;
During your time in the UK, you must have been exercising Treaty Rights e.g. working, self-employed, or a student,for example;
You must meet the residence requirements which include an assessment of your absences from the UK and where you intend to live after making the application;
You will need to pass the Life in the UK Test;
You also need to pass an approved English Language Test – or have an approved degree from /be a national of a majority English speaking country;
You must meet the “Good Character” guidance, for example no recent or serious criminal convictions, you must not be bankrupt, or associated with those considered to have “bad character”
Barrister Khan and other Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Thankyou I knew most of the info from on line info my situation seems complicated as I have been retired now for 12 yrs on a state pension and teachers pension. I have been away from uk for 6 months each year since I retired as I restored a small house in Italy . How does that effect my application as in general it says in the on line info that only 450 days in 5 yrs is allowed? How does that comply with eu free movement rules which I have lived by during my retirement?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I intend to continue living in uk where I own my own flat in London and have my son and grandchildren here as well. I need to continue stayin in Italy as well as the house and grounds still need work done. How does this division of 6 months here and 6 months there affect my application?