How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Barrister Khan Your Own Question
Barrister Khan
Barrister Khan, Barrister
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 58
Experience:  Excellent legal grip
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Barrister Khan is online now

I would like to know if I can apply for British

This answer was rated:

Hello I would like to know if I can apply for British naturalisation. I have recently married a British citizen and have lived in the uk for over 12 years. Thank you
Thank you for your question.A British citizen has the right to permanently live and work in the UK without any immigration restrictions, otherwise known as a right of abode. Depending on your current citizenship status or nationality, eg, if you are married to a British citizen or have been granted Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR), you may be able to apply for British citizenship through either the process of British naturalisation or registration.
Barrister Khan and 2 other Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Ok great thank you. I have had four separate visas since living in the Uk, two student visas and two Ancestry visas. I am currently on my second Ancestral visa which expires in 2021, but my query is, if I have lived in the UK for over 12 years now and am married to a British Citizen can I apply for naturalisation or registration now rather then waiting until 2021? Thank you.