Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 with a wide general experience.
13262538

My son is engaged to his girlfriend who is a US citizen.

Customer Question

My son is engaged to his girlfriend who is a US citizen. They plan to marry next year sometime in the middle of the year June or July time. After they are married the plan is for her to live in the UK. Could you let me know how the visa's work if:A/ they get married in the UK
B/ they get married in the USThey want to spend as little time apart as possible and also would like to keep the cost of visa's to a minimum.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Clare replied 4 months ago.

Thank you for your question

I shall do my best to help you but I need some further information first

How much does your son earn?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
163;19,000
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Sorry I meant £29,000 pa
Expert:  Clare replied 4 months ago.

Then he meets the financial requirements!

If they get married in the UK she would have to come here on a Finacee visa - and then change to a spouse visa - which would mean a second fee.

If they marry in the USA then she can apply for a spouse visa from there

The details are here as is a link to the forms

https://www.gov.uk/uk-family-visa/partner-spouse

I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
If they marry in the USA how long would she have to wait after they are married to get the spouse visa? I assume she couldn't just travel back to the UK after a 2 wk honeymoon
Expert:  Clare replied 4 months ago.

She can apply as soon as she has a wedding date - on average it takes up to two months

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
if she books a wedding in the USA in the next few weeks for June, can she apply for a spouse visa before they are married? I assume she can then travel back to the UK after the wedding? Would my son need to apply for a visa to get married in the USA?
Expert:  Clare replied 4 months ago.

She will not be able to travel to the UK until she receives her spouse visa.

She will not be able to apply until close to the wedding - so they will be apart for a period.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Do you know how close to the wedding she can apply?
Expert:  Clare replied 4 months ago.

Within two weeks or so - no earlier