frantzgregory
frantzgregory, Lawyer
Experience:  Over 5 years dealing with EEA Law, Nationality, Immigration and Asylum Law.
80411141

I am a full british citizen born in the UK. My fiance is

Hi. I am a full british citizen born in the UK. My fiance is from Iraq but currently lives in France with refugee status. We have communicated every day for two years and met in person twice. Is there any way that we can get married and live together in the UK? I have found a lot of contradicting information on the Internet

What contradicting information have your received?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I mean I have not been able to find anything for our specific situation. He is a refugee but has not yet been approved to stay in France and we are not sure if he will be. He could be sent back to Iraq. He also does not have valid ID as he lost all of his documents. Some sites say he would have to be a resident in the UK before marriage but others say different. I would move to France but as far as I can tell it would be even more difficult to marry there as we would both be foreigners. I am very confused and would be grateful for any help you can give x

If you have been in a durable relationship and there is evidence of this the best option is if you relocate to France for work or to seek work, you can then apply under EU law to have your partner return with you to the UK under the Surinder Singh Principle.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Thinking long term - will the Surinder Singh Principle still be valid in the EU after Brexit?

I can only give answers to the now and not speculate to the future.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Fair enough. Thank you for your help

Thank you for posting your question on JustAnswer. If you have any follow up questions, I'm here to help and happy to respond. If you feel I've given you 5 star service, please rate me 5 stars at the top of the page