Thomas, Lawyer
Experience:  UK Lawyer holding practising certficate for England & Wales.
28732269

I've been living and working in UK for more than 6 years.

Customer Question

Good afternoon!
Can I get a British passport without any tests?
Yours sincerely,
Simona Ene
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 4 months ago.

Thanks for your question.

What nationality are you?

What has been your immigration status throughout the 6 years please?

Kind regards,

Tom

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I am romanian.Romania is in the European union. I've been working for more than 6 years and I have p60 to prove it.I am a house owner.
Expert:  Thomas replied 4 months ago.

Thanks for your reply.

Drafting your answer now. 5 mins please.

Kind regards,

Tom

Expert:  Thomas replied 4 months ago.

Hi Simona

Thanks for your question. I will try to help.

Before you are able to apply for naturalisation as a UK citizen, you must apply for confirmation of your Permanent Residence under the EEA rules. They do not let you apply for naturalisation unless you have obtained confirmation of your permanent residence status.

So, you must first show that you have complied with the rules (i.e. Ascension worker card if relevant to you) and then exercised your EEA treaty rights by working for a period of 5 years in the UK. Provided you are able to do this then you can apply for permanent residence.

Here is the link for applying for permanent residence:

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/apply-for-a-document-certifying-permanent-residence-or-permanent-residence-card-form-eea-pr

Once you have obtained PR then you can apply for naturalisation 12 months from the date you are regarded as having PR from. The link for Applying for naturalization is here:

https://www.gov.uk/becoming-a-british-citizen

However, as you will from the above link you will have to pass the Life in the UK test and satisfy the English language requirements.

My goal is to provide you with a good service. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply back. Please remember to leave positive feedback using the stars at the top of the page.

Kind regards,

Tom

Expert:  Thomas replied 4 months ago.

Is there any further information you require?

I just want to ensure that you are satisfied, so please let me know if you have any further queries on the information I have provided. If you have no further questions then please do leave positive feedback using the stars at the top of the page.

Kind regards,

Tom