Thomas, Lawyer
Experience:  UK Lawyer holding practising certficate for England & Wales.
28732269

I have been granted indefinite leave to remain recently on

Customer Question

HiI have been granted indefinite leave to remain recently on the basis of completing  my 10 years in UK.Last year my spouse had her British passport now being a spouse of British person am i still need to wait for 1 year before applying the nationality or I can do it without waiting for 1 year because my wife is having British passport since last year.Could you please reply.if there is any queries please do not hesitate to ask me .Thanks RegardsFaisal shahzad
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 5 months ago.

Thanks for your question. I will try to help.

You are correct in that if your spouse is a UK citizen then you do not need to wait one year until you apply for naturalisation.

This is because the eligibility requirements where you are married to a UK citizen are slightly different. They are on the following link and you will note at the second set of bullet points there is no requirement that you must be free from immigration time restrictions for 1 year at the date you apply:

https://www.gov.uk/becoming-a-british-citizen/if-your-spouse-is-a-british-citizen

This means that you do not need to wait a year.

My goal is to provide you with a good service. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply back. Please remember to leave positive feedback using the stars at the top of the page.

Kind regards,

Tom

Expert:  Thomas replied 5 months ago.

Is there any further information you require?

I just want to ensure that you are satisfied, so please let me know if you have any further queries on the information I have provided. If you have no further questions then please do leave positive feedback using the stars at the top of the page.

Kind regards,

Tom