How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Solicitor
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 35574
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 with a wide general experience.
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

My Chinese wife of nearly 4 years still retains her Chinese

This answer was rated:

My Chinese wife of nearly 4 years still retains her Chinese passport in her Chinese name. She gained her British Citizenship and British passport in 2006 in the name of her former British husband (now deceased)
We now wish to renew her British passport but note it now has to match her name on her Chinese passport. Her Chinese name can not be changed as she may wish to return to live should I die before her. The only way I can see round the problem is to change her name by Deed poll but the web information on acceptability of a deed poll and what is the minimum requirement for a deed poll is confusing what will be accepted by the passport office . My wife now uses my surname.
I would be grateful for any advise you are able to give
Kind regards ***** *****llycrop ***@******.***

My name is Clare

I shall do my best to help you but I need some further information first

For clarity - she does not wish to use your name on her British Passport?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Due to Uk passport regulations the name on the UK passport must match that on any other passport in use. We Are both happy that her name is ***** ***** to her Chinese name

Would that be her "maiden" name - the one she used prior to her marriage?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.


Final point then - was she divorced here in the Uk and does she have a copy of her Decree Absolute?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
She divorced her Chinese husband in China in 1996. And remarried British husband in China were the divorce certificate has to be handed in to the authorities to enable the remarriage and both lived in China for 1 year before he moved back to England with his wife where she managed to obtain a green card and subsequently her Citizenship and lived with her husband until his death

That is a shame!

That does indeed leave you just with the Change of Name Deed option.

It does NOT have to be a Registered Deed Poll for the passport office - just an ordinary Change of Name Deed - and there are many free templates online

I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details

Clare and 2 other Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you