How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JimLawyer Your Own Question
JimLawyer, Solicitor
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 2484
Experience:  Senior Associate Solicitor
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
JimLawyer is online now

Im in divorce processing at the moment waiting for a date

Customer Question

Im in divorce processing at the moment waiting for a date for court
A present im in a relationship with a non eu member
We are in a relationship since October 2016
My partner is in Hong Kong
Is there any way we can be together here
We got engaged last February and are missing each other badly
What can I do??
Submitted: 8 months ago.
Category: Immigration Law
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Is everything ok
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Do you need more information
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Is there something wrong
I didn’t get a answer
Expert:  WAQAR NOOR replied 8 months ago.

Hello, I am a Solicitor with over 19 years experience in the UK.

Thank you for your enquiry, I will do my best to advise you appropriately.

I am sorry to hear about you having to go through this difficult time.

I am sure if you had your Partner here with you in the UK, your Partner would be a great comfort to you.

There are two ways your Partner can join you here in the UK, I will set these both out below.

Visa Application as a Spouse / Fiancé - Permanent

I am sorry, you will need to wait till you have divorced your estranged husband and received the "decree absolute" (Divorce Certificate). You will need the "decree absolute” document as part of your Supporting Documentation for your Partners Visa Application as a Spouse / Fiancé. You have to prove to the Home Office that you free to are marry your Fiancé and the only way to prove that is by producing the "decree absolute".

Visitor Visa - Temporary (up-to 6 Months)

Your Partner could of course make an application for a Visitor Visa should they meet the requirements. The Requirements are fully detailed on the Home office website. A Visitors Visa is temporary for up to 6 months. This may be a consideration, as if are successful you wound have your Partner here with you to comfort and assist you while the Divorce is finalised. The disadvantage is that you would need to make a Spouse /Fiance Visa in the future and thus incur two sets of Application Fees, Flights etc.

I hope this satisfies your enquiry .

Finally, I would be obliged if you could kindly provide a rating for Just Answer, a 4 or 5 *Star would be a delightful!

Many thanks.

Expert:  WAQAR NOOR replied 8 months ago.

Good Morning,

I hope you are satisfied with your Answer and If you need and further help please let me know.

If you happy with your above answer - please don't forget to provide a rating for Just Answer, a 5 *Star would be most welcome!

Many thanks!

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Thank you for your help
But im in Ireland not the uk
Expert:  WAQAR NOOR replied 8 months ago.

Hello, thank you for getting back to me and for the clarification. my apologies i missed your country of Origin

I imagine the system is very similar in Ireland as an EU member state. Hope all goes well!

Expert:  JimLawyer replied 8 months ago.
Hello, thanks for the question.Your fiancé can apply for a visa for either short stay (up to 3 months) or long stay family visa.To apply, it needs to be done online and your fiancé will need to pay a fee plus attach supporting documents.The portal to apply is to be found here : you have completed the online application process, you must follow the instructions on the summary application form that is created by the online system. The summary form will contain information on where you are to submit your supporting documentation. The summary form which you must print, sign and date must be submitted with your supporting documentation.I hope this has helped - if you can give me a star rating, JustAnswer will credit me and I can offer unlimited and free of charge follow up Q&A’sKind regardsJim