chatham-chamber
chatham-chamber, Solicitor
Experience:  LL.B, Pg.Dip, LL.M, M.B.A (Pending), Solicitor-Advocate. UK Practising Certificate issued by SRA., DIFC Courts Registered (Dubai)
12179604

I am 17 (18 next week) My mother is Spanish My father was

I am 17 (18 next week)
My mother is Spanish
My father was Zimbabwean when I was born in the UK
I was born in London in august 2000
in 2003 both my dad and me were granted permanent residence
in 2005 my mum got me a Spanish Id card and took me back to Spain to finish my schooling.
I returned regularly to the UK, traveling with my id card to my dad in holidays and lived with him in London
My dad became British in 2006
My mum and dad got divorced in 2011 (they no longer speak)
I have now finished school and have come to live in UK permanently with my dad and hopefully go to college
Assistant: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any paperwork with the UK government? What country do you live in? What is your citizenship?
Customer: can I apply for British citizenship by MN1
Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer about the citizenship application?
Customer: no not yet I have an appointment on WEdnesday
Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no i dont think so
Hi,Thank you for your question.Would you still like assistance with this?
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
please,
can I apply for British citizenship using MN1 with the circumstances above?
is it better to apply before I am 18?
do I have to have a letter with my mothers consent as she is in Spain and her and my father do not talk?I should add I only have my Spanish ID with me right now not my Spanish Passport which my mother kept when I came to live with my father here.
Hi,Based on the information provided above you would be entitled to register using for MN1. You will need to do this before you attain the age of 18.You will need to show your eligibility by providing the relevant details for your parents. It may be better for your father to make the application for you.I hope this answers your question. If so, kindly rate the answer and provide feedback.If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to ask.Many thanks
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Thanks but what about the requirement for both parents to consent or have I read this wrong?Also MN1 asks for my passport details which I don’t have it is in Spain and my mum will not send it to me in time (15 days it says on form). Can I just use my Spanish ID?
Hi,If you do not have your passport details to hand you will have to omit these. I am not sure if you are able to use your identity card.With reference to both parents, you will need to show what permission your parents have, therefore you will need the document proving your mother's eligibility.I hope this answers your question. If so, kindly rate the answer and provide feedback.If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to ask.Many thanks
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Sorry now I m confused,what do you mean"show what permission your parents have, therefore you will need the document proving your mother's eligibility."My mother is Spanish not British,
I was concerned only that she must give consent to me becoming British? there is a section in the form she must sign or provide a letter giving consent as far as I understand. She is in Spain and wont do this.Can I apply just with my fathers consent, as he is the British one and I now live with him

Has your father got some custody and parental rights?

Sole custody

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Joint custody and parental rights
Hi,If that is the case your mother would need to consent also.I hope this answers your question, if so, kindly rate the answer and provide feedback.If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to ask.Many thanks